Sunday, March 20, 2011

Just an update..

The day after the March 13th post, I put an additional box of honey comb on top of hives 2,3,4 and 5. I know it may be too early for such, but better that than late.

The splits seem to be doing OK. Number 5, has the most activity with bees moving in and out on a regular basis. Number 6 is less active, in fact I thought it had failed completely (ie all the bees had left), but when I popped the top on it today, there were bees roaming around. It still may be too weak to make it, but for now, I'll leave it alone and see what happens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I started two splits late last year (I think in August when Pete had some queens) and managed to keep them going through the winter. One is pretty strong for a split but the other is like your weak one - some activity (the bees are foraging but not in any numbers)but not as strong as I would have liked. I hope both of our hives make it.