Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Moving Day

Well, I finally got around to moving the hive. The place I had it, had a great wind block and was hidden well from onlookers, but unfortunately was always in the shade, so it never got any sun, particularly in the winter. So, last night, after dark, we covered the entrance and moved the buggers.


So, the new spot faces the sun rise and gets sun most of the day. In the summer a large oak should shade it so that it does not get overheated. I may have to put up a wind block, but I think it will be a better place.

Today, it was reasonably warm (55ish) so the bees got out did some new orientation flights and seemed to spend more time outside, I take this as a good sign. There were some bees wandering around the old hive site (about 12 feet away), but hopefully not too many got desperately lost.

No comments: